The International Centre for Defence and Security (ICDS) is establishing a new position of Japan Chair and hiring a senior expert on the national security and foreign policy of Japan.
The main tasks of the Japan Chair are to research and contribute to policy debates on the major challenges for the foreign, security and defence policies of Japan. The Japan Chair will contribute to a better understanding of the challenges that Japan and the Baltic states or Europe face in common in the geopolitical environment of the 21st century. The primary fields of research for the Chair will include politics, policy studies, diplomacy, security studies, international relations, and global affairs relating to Japan and the Indo-Pacific region. The Chair should have academic qualifications in a directly related discipline in the social sciences.
ICDS is the leading think-tank in Estonia specialising in foreign policy, security and defence issues. We aim to be the regional knowledge hub of first choice for the security and defence communities of Estonia, its allies and partners.
We offer a motivating work environment and flexible conditions, an independent approach to research and good opportunities for international networking and self-development.
The Japan Chair will be launched in January 2023. The selected person can be employed full time or part time for an initial period of three years, with a possibility for extension.
The position of Japan Chair is supported by the Government of Japan.
– academic higher education, preferably doctoral degree
– internationally acknowledged expertise and previous work experience in the field of the national security and foreign policies of Japan
– very good skills in policy-oriented research
– very good skills in self-expression and presentation
– proficiency in English
Candidates are requested to submit:
- a one-page motivational statement in English describing the applicant’s relevant experience and potential contribution to the ICDS as Japan Chair
- curriculum vitae (maximum three pages), including most recent publications
- copy of diploma of higher education
Please submit the documents no later than 1 September 2022 to the e-mail address email@example.com.
For additional information please turn to Kristi Raik, Director of the Estonian Foreign Policy Institute at the ICDS, firstname.lastname@example.org.